How do you advertise your web site? Here’s a starting list. Not all of these ideas are relevant to all web sites. Choose what’s best for you.
- Register the site with the major search engines and directories.
- Put the address on all your printed stationery, business cards and advertising.
- Put the address in your e-mail signature block so it goes out with every e-mail message you send.
- Join relevant discussion groups and contribute to the discussion; refer others in the group to your web site when it’s relevant.
- Get links to your site from other sites (but don’t clutter up your pages with too many logos, banners and other links to other sites in exchange).
- Set up a mailing list and send out a free e-mailed newsletter; promote it through discussion groups and other means.
- Set up your own discussion group, perhaps on Yahoogroups or Topica.
- Don’t buy banner ads on other sites, unless it’s a very related, specialist site; in most cases, banner ads are a waste of money. Some other forms of paid advertising may be cost-effective. You’ll need to do a lot of research, or hire a specialist to do the research for you.
Last updated 27 March 2002